Painting Sector Corvus Prime buildings
I get a lot of requests asking how I paint my own 3D printed terrain so I figured it was timed I did a quick tutorial. With the Sector Corvus Prime kickstarter currently running, it makes sense to use one of the modular buildings as an example. So I'm going to show you how to create a dingy, grunged up look perfect for the underhive and have it ready for the table in about 20 minutes.
Tools and Colours Used:
I generally use what comes to hand, so that means for me, a combination of cheap acrylic craft paints, crappy old brushes, miniature paints and parts of blister pack sponges. Today I'll be using a make-up brush for drybrushing (thanks Mrs Corvus!) some of the bigger parts.
Here are the colours I used on a lot of the Sector Corvus Prime buildings.
- Dark Brown
- Dark Red
After assembling the model and priming the whole thing black with a rattle can, I began by drybrushing on a dark brown over most of the model. I purposely tried to leave a lot of the primer showing through. You're not aiming for complete coverage of the brown.
With the brown complete, I moved on to orange, drybrushing the whole piece the same way. Again, leave some patches of brown and primer showing through. The make-up brush is great for light drybrushing and involves less 'scrubbing' than a conventional purpose-made dry brush.
The next part of the process is adding a metallic look to the model. I used a super-cheap brush with some Citadel Leadbelcher, drybrushing all over. I paid a little more attention to the rivets and edges.
I use a very small amount of base colour on the Sector Corvus Prime terrain. I chose a dark red for most of the Habplex buildings, and a dark green for the Industroplex.
Using the same cheap brush, I scrubbed and stippled dark red acrylic craft paint into the edge recesses where the panels meet. Also some of the panels have inset detail where I also added some red.
I finished off the building by adding in a few gold/brass accent details. I could have gone further and drybrushed the whole thing with a dusty colour to bring it all together, but I wanted to get this done quickly and ready to use.
The whole building was completed in under 15 minutes. To be honest, I saved a ton of time by not even bothering to let the parts dry between steps. You could do a number of buildings at the same time, moving along assembly-line style and that would give the coats time to dry in between steps.
I completed my first ever video tutorial for this and it can be found here.